WWE Survivor Series 2016 (Recap & Review)
Tonight was the WWE's 30th Survivor Series event... and I'm going over all 8 matches! This is a long one folks!
- Clearly a promo of shorts for 205 Live, with Mauro & Graves on commentary plus Greg Hamilton doing the ring announcing
- Swan & TJ are the most 'over' just based on crowd reactions
- Fun rapid fire exhibition of the cruiserweights, it's pure excitement, too bad the RAW mindset practically buried the division
- Weird bit in the match where we heard Renee talking to the production truck
- It did appear Noam tapped when Gulak had him in the Indian Death Lock submission
- Finish saw Rich get the pin on Daivari following a standing 450 Splash
Match 2 Notes
Kane vs Luke Harper
- The character of Kane has been around 19 years, that's a long stint no matter how you slice it. And he's had 18 appearances at Survivor Series
- Basic big man match, slow pacing that could be consider plodding, but it was a 'fight' just two big dudes going at it
- Luke Harper diving through the ropes and other 'Cruiserweight' moves does show why the Cruiserweight division itself was absent for so long, cause the big guys can do those stunts too
- Finish saw Kane get the win blocking a discus clotheline and hitting a chokeslam
Match 3 Notes
RAW vs SmackDown Women's Elimination Tag Match
- Announce Team Mauro, JBL, Graves and Saxton
- Everyone was wearing matching gear, Red for Team RAW, blue for SMackDown
- Nikki Bella did not come out for her entrance as she was ambushed in the back off camera, so Natalya took Nikki's pace. Clearly Nattie attacked Nikki to get the spot.
- Pretty swift pace, with Nia's size really being a factor on RAW's side
- Alicia Fox eliminated Carmella (5-4 in factor of RAW), Alexa Bliss eliminated Alicia (4-4), Nia Jax laid out Naomi forcing a countout (4-3 in favor or RAW), Natalya rolled-up Sasha Banks (3-3), Charlotte pinned Natalya following a big boot (3-2 in favor of RAW)
- Becky & Alexa starting bickering when Alexa tagged hereslf in and got suplexed by Nia.
- Becky made Nia tap out to the Dis-Arm-Her (2-2), Nia attacked Becky afterward, Charlotte pinned Alexa (2-1 in favor of RAW), Bayley actually got booed breaking up a pin-attempt by Becky on Charlotte, Bayley pinned Becky Lynch with the Bayley-to-Belly for the win for RAW
- Suvivors: Charlotte & Bayley,
- Charlotte attacks Bayley after the match, throwing her into ring barriers and dropping her with a big boot.
Match 4 Notes
Intercontinental Championship Match
- Commentary Team switch to Cole, JBL, Otunga and Saxton
- If Sami wins, the IC title goes to RAW
- Decent match with The Miz being the ring-general he is keeping Sami from going into ShINDY territory, keeping the pacing fairly realistic, he's very much and underrated performer
- Love the fact that Miz bridges and arches to get more pressure when doing the Figure-four, not to mention stealing some of Daniel Bryan's spots.
- Sami Zayn can't do a figure-four properly, when he did get it locked in Maryse rung-the-bell, causing him to break it thinking he won, which lead to Miz getting the pin
- Pure Genius!
Match 5 Notes
The New Day, Gallows & Anderson, Sheamus & Cesaro, Enzo & Big Cass, & The Shining Starts
- Announce Team is Mauro, Otunga, Saxton & Graves
- Enzo & Cass had their usual promo, though the 'sucking on Tim Hortons' line could be misunderstood if one didn't know it was coffee
- With 10 Tag Teams in this match, one like this hasn't happened since I think the second Survivor Series
- New Day did their bit with a new chant 'Team RAW Rocks' to try and get the crowd on their team side
- Rhyno looked strange with out the goatee
- Kofi and Big E hit the Midnight Hour on Fandango, eliminating Breezango (RAW 5-4) followed second later with the The Usos eliminating New Day (4-4)... which is not a good start, which eliminations with that many people doesn't play well. The Club eliminated the Hype Bros following the Magic Killer (RAW 4-3), American Alpha eliminate the Shining Stars following the Steiner Bulldog (3-3)
- Got a stand off with the remaining teams breaking down into a brawl and just pure chaos with big spots happening and dives to the outside.
- Angerson and Gallows eliminate American Alpha following the Magic Killer (3-2), Slater & Rhyno eliminate Gallows & Anderson following the Gore (2-2) , Enzo & Cass eliminate Slater & Rhyno following the Boom-Shakalaka (RAW 2-1), The Usos eliminate Enzo & Cass following a Samoan Spalash (1-1)
- Raw nearly got the win with a brogue kick from Sheamus to an Uso, but it was broken up at the last second. The avalanch white noise from Sheamus to Jimmy Uso was wicked awesome. . Cesaro reversed Jey Uso's tequila sunrise into a Sharpshooter, and RAW won
- Match was too quick and felt totally awkward, felt too chaotic for no reason other than the WWE not having done one of these matches in 29 years. I honestly think only 1 person predicted RAW to win this match.
- Cesaro & Sheamus will be getting a tag team title match against the New Day tomorrow on RAW
Mactch 6 Notes
Cruiserweight Title Match
- Commentary Team: Mauro & Corey Graves
- Should note the WWE did change the ring ropes for both Cruiserweight matches,
- Kendrick's cerebral approach also works for his character as it leads to him being able to change things around and openly cheat fairly, cutting Kalisto off every so often such as messing with his mask, school-boying him into the corner turnbuckle etc.
- Kalisto doing a Spanish-fly (aka Paul Burchill's C4) off the ring apron to the floor was impressive
- Kendrick locked in the Captain's Hook by doing a reverse headlock takeover from the top rope on Kalisto. Kalisto showed great resolved to get to the ring ropes.
- Kalisto got the Selina Del Sol but was too close to the ropes which saw Kendrick get his foot on the ropes.
- Baron Corbin interfered and attacked Kendrick and Kalisto, Kendrick retains on a DQ
- Keeping the Cruiserweight Division on RAW is simply idiotic
Match 7 Notes
RAW vs SmackDown
- There was Goldberg styled chant for James Ellsworth... yeah... that was a thing
- Announcers; Graves Cole, Otunga JBL
- Something that is fact: Roman Reigns is the most despised person in the WWE today... if one doesn't count bucky beaver Kevin Dunn
- This match had a slower start than the others and with it getting started at 9:15 means it should've gotten a lot of time
- Shane's phantom punches are still silly as hell when they are sold, and speaking of silly, Seth's Have RAW have his own t-shirt was more weird looking than Roddy Piper painting himself half black at Mania 6.
- Dean and AJ starting bickering and began to brawl, which lead to Bruan hitting a power slam to eliminate Dean (RAW up 5-4)
- Braun catching AJ blocking the Phenomenal Forearm was incredible as was him throwing AJ out of the ring like garbage
- Wyatt got into Braun's way blocking him from going after Orton, it appears he was getting in his head , but Braun went after Wyatt. Orton and Wyatt laid Braun out on the table, which set up Shane to go up top to do a leap of faith. AJ got Shane back in the ring and Stroman got counted out (4-4) thanks to Ellsworth holding Stroman's foot, who threw him off the stage in retaliation
- Kevin Owens was DQ for hitting AJ Styles with the List of Jericho (SmackDown Up 4-3), with his list all over the ring, Jericho was distracted and got hit by an RKO by Orton and pinned (SmackDown up 4-2) Leaving just Roman and Rollins
- Eventually Shane got Roman down in the corner, went up for the coast to coast but Roman countered with a spear, and it appeared Shane kicked out, but he was just drilled hard. He was ruled eliminated (SmackDown up 3-2)
- Dean Ambrose came back out and attacked AJ Styles, as security was getting Dean out, Rollins and Reigns attacked them and we had a SHIELD reunion of sorts, which saw them putting AJ through a table with the SHIELD powerbomb. AJ was pinned by Seth, (2-2), leaving Seth and Reigns against Orton and Bray Wyatt. Like Harper game up from under the ring causing a distraction. Seth went for a frog-splash on Wyatt by was RKO'ed by Orton and pinned by Wyatt (SmackDown up 2-1) RAW has Roman left and Luke Harper is still lurking at ring side with loud Lets Go SmackDown Chants. Orton push Wyatt out of the way, took a spear from Roman which allowed Wyatt to hit Sister Abigal for SmackDown to get the win
- Match ended well after 10 PM EST
- Commentary Team: Graves, Cole, Saxton
- Brock came out first and got some noticeable boos and a lot of Goldberg chants, which is amazing considering historically, Toronto crapped on Goldberg.
- Goldberg shoving Lesnar on his ass was a visual, not mention hitting the spear seconds later, then a second spear and then a jackhammer... and the match was over within a couple of minutes!